Child Nutrition Apprenticeship Program
The purpose of the apprenticeship program is to ensure the professional development of the Child Nutrition Services (CNS) employees by providing relevant, educational and on the job training. Employees may earn increases to their salaries with successful completion of level requirements.
Some of the benefits to the staff will be:
- increased pay for a higher level of skills
- formal recognition by the SNA for professional achievement
- increased knowledge and skills in child nutrition
- increased ability to implement Newport News School Board's Wellness Policy in the nutrition area
The school system will benefit by having a highly qualified work force that will ensure safe and healthy meals for students and staff.
Who is eligible?
Any contracted employee who is in good standing is eligible to enroll. Employees must have at least a high school diploma or GED to participate in the program. Participation in the program is voluntary. If an employee chooses not to participate, they will continue to benefit from the standard pay scale.
How do I enroll?
Obtain an Apprenticeship Application Form from your manager or the CNS central office during the application period. Send the completed copy to the CNS's central office. Please contact the CNS office for application period dates.
- The Apprentice is expected to maintain a passing grade, "C" or better in all courses.
- The Apprentice is expected to attend all scheduled courses. If an Apprentice has more than one (1) unexcused absence he/she will be removed from the program. The Apprentice is responsible for seeking approval for absences from the CNS Supervisor and it is his/her responsibility to make up all work missed.
- If the Apprentice has any work performance issues or disciplinary occurrences while in the program it will result in the Apprentice being dropped from the program.
- The Apprentice is expected to be prepared for class and complete all required assignments by the due dates given. The Apprentice should contact the CNS Supervisor immediately if unable to adhere to any deadlines.