Journey 2020: A Strategic Plan to College, Career and Citizen-Readiness
The Strategic Planning Team would like your input on the draft goals for the 2020-2025 Strategic Plan and the first ever NNPS Profile of a Learner. Please take a few minutes to review the draft goal statements, the equitable approach, the strategic supports below and the components of the Profile of a Learner and give us your thoughts. Your ideas, opinions and recommendations are important to creating the final draft which will be presented to the School Board in April. Completing the survey should only take a few minutes; your input will guide and influence the direction of Newport News Public Schools for years to come.
Equitable Approach: Identify and outline equitable practices that close achievement gaps and increase access to rigorous learning experiences.
- Ensure a rigorous curriculum is designed to personalize learning using a variety of research-based instructional strategies (experiential, problem-based, inquiry, project-based, service learning).
- Implement a PK-12 literacy plan.
- Provide multiple opportunities for students to develop and grow through extracurricular activities.
- Support all educators with aligning written-taught-tested curriculum.
- Inform instructional decisions using data that support student success through a tiered system of support.
- Explore multiple academic and career pathways to include increased work-based learning experiences, academic career planning and engagement with business and industry partners.
Equitable Approach: Ensure all students and staff have access to programs and supports to meet their individual needs.
- Foster self-awareness and resilience to assist in the development of a positive self-image.
- Embrace the power of failure and instill a growth mindset.
- Nourish physical, mental and emotional health.
- Implement curriculum activities that teach social, emotional, and behavioral competencies.
- Create and maintain a safe and supportive environment that allows students and staff to thrive where all voices are heard in an unbiased manner.
- Address inequities in student and employee discipline practices.
Equitable Approach: Ensure employee learning promotes culturally responsive practices.
- Provide intentional, job-embedded professional development using research-based strategies to foster student advancement for all learners.
- Invest in staff talent and learning to promote a culture of continuous professional growth.
- Develop and support employees by maintaining an aligned, comprehensive evaluation system that prioritizes feedback and growth.
- Design professional development, that supports the successful integration of blended learning for personalized instruction.
Equitable Approach: Create opportunities that challenge traditional norms and ensure access to a diverse group of professionals in non-traditional roles.
- Increase the number of collaborative relationships with stakeholders that foster authentic learning and cultural experiences.
- Leverage the expertise of partners to create experiential learning opportunities that allow for enhanced career exploration.
- Expand and streamline communication tools to engage schools, families, students, and the community.
- Promote a one-city mindset through civic and social engagement to prosper as a premier community.
Equitable Approach: Ensure the equitable distribution of all resources.
- Implement inclusive budgetary practices that include input and feedback from all stakeholders.
- Recruit, retain and reward employees who are highly effective.
- Develop a comprehensive approach to staff retention that includes differentiated pathways for advancement based on goals and interests.
- Create and implement a plan for 1:1 technology for students.
- Establish processes and procedures for all hiring managers to recruit, hire and promote a diverse workforce that mirrors our student population.
Profile of a Learner
As students in NNPS, we embody our Profile of a Learner and the Virginia Profile of a Graduate (Critical Thinking, Creative Thinking, Collaboration, Communication and Citizenship).
As LEADERS, we are:
- Confident in our actions and abilities.
- Coachable and understanding of how to work with other leaders.
- Team Builders through collaboration.
- Champions of Change.
- Respectful to ourselves, others and the environment.
- Influential members of our community and empower others to champion a cause.
As EMOTIONALLY-INTELLIGENT learners, we are:
- Committed to making choices that lead to life-long success.
- Confident in our intellectual, physical and emotional well-being.
- Resourceful in seeking and accepting support.
- Empathetic to others.
- Focused on honesty, integrity, trust and transparency.
As ACADEMICALLY-PREPARED learners, we are:
- Literate across all areas.
- Appliers of our Knowledge.
- Workforce-Minded with a focus on being college and career ready.
- Accountable for our own success.
- Intrinsically Motivated.
- Digitally Confident.
As RESILIENT learners, we are:
- Responsive to challenges and use them as opportunities to learn and grow.
- Self-Directed and take initiative.
- Persistently learning from failure.
- Adaptive to various environments.
As INNOVATORS, we are:
- Deliberate in our process to solve problems.
- Problem-Finders through research and experiential learning.
- Divergent Thinkers who harness the power of technology.
As EQUITY-MINDED learners, we are:
- Inclusive and welcoming to others.
- Ethically-Minded, equity and fair-minded.
- Culturally Aware and embrace differences.
- Responsive to global perspectives for making informed decisions.
- Advocates for equity.
As REFLECTIVE learners, we are:
- Receptive to feedback for growth.
- Developers of our own future.